Monday, February 28, 2011

For A Sister AND A Friend

Press On
by Cheryl Harris White
Acrylic on Canvas
24" x 36"
SOLD

This painting was done for my sister whom I now consider to be one of my closest friends.  It wasn't always that way though.  I painted this several years ago during a very difficult time in our relationship. I think all sisters probably go through this at one time or another...and even though I knew that what we were facing was normal and to be expected, I felt a deep sadness about it.  A sister is both a sister AND a friend, so when there was distance growing between us,  it  felt like I was losing two people instead of just one.  I remember struggling so much, and feeling extremely drained and annoyed and frustrated about the frequent problems between us.  No amount of forbearance or  understanding or patience seemed to be enough.  I was so tired of spending energy and getting no where.  I wanted to just quit even trying to work on our relationship. 

About that same time when her birthday was coming up, her husband asked me to paint a painting for her based on her favorite verse...

Philippians 3:14   
14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize 
for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

It was the perfect assignment for me.  I thought about what I was painting and who I was painting it for.  I remembered so many times when most people would quit, she never did...so who was I to want to quit on her?  Any relationship takes hard work, and one with a sister is certainly worth fighting for.  She has an amazing tenacious spirit and is one of the most driven, committed,  focused people I know.  So, Char, this post today is for you.  I know life is hard right now, but I'm here to encourage you to keep pressing on.  You were born to be my sister, but I chose you as my friend and I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment