Thursday, March 17, 2011

Art for Art's Sake

I really love being around people who appreciate art and beauty.  There is something calm and knowing about them, as if they have found a secret others have not.  When they find out I paint, they say things like,"That is wonderful, beautiful...etc."  They are encouraging and seem to give me energy. They have connected somehow with what they see and it has made them feel something positive.  These are the kind of people I would want to spend an afternoon in an art museum with.  I believe God would be in this group as well.  I believe He cares about art and what we make through our creativity.  It matters to Him, because we matter to him and He made us and this beautiful world for us to live in.  We see His creative plan unfold in nature and read His beautiful sentiments in the poetry of the Bible. 

Poppy Study
by Cheryl Harris White
not available
'For behold, the winter is past,  
The rain is over and gone.  
 'The flowers have already appeared in the land;  
The time has arrived for pruning the vines,  
And the voice of the turtledove has been heard in our land.  
 'The fig tree has ripened its figs,  
And the vines in blossom have given forth their fragrance.  
Arise, my darling, my beautiful one,  
And come along!' " 
Song 2:11-13 (NASB)

These verses are just there for us to enjoy and they are beautiful.  I love that not every part of the Bible is a law or a deep theological concept.  Some of it is in there just because God wanted it in there.  How refreshing.  

I feel the same way about my art.  Some of the pictures I post will just be something I just thought would be fun to paint, not necessarily an illustration of some deep spiritual doctrine.  So, in light of that thought,  this is  a study of some poppies I've been working on... just to celebrate art for art's sake.  I just splashed this out in one day and this is really just a practice I did for the painting coming tomorrow.  Stay tuned! More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment