Thursday, March 3, 2011

Vinyard Workers

Vinyard Workers Banner
Acrylic on Canvas Banner
4 ft x 12 ft

My favorite painting of all time is.... A Sunday on La Grande Jatte -- 1884, 1884-86 by Georges Seurat   I love the curved lines, the dresses the umbrellas even the sails of the boats are curved.  I like how when I look at it, I hear silence and feel peace…even though it is a picture of what must have been a very noisy environment.  It makes me feel like I have the power to make time stand still. 




 
A Study for Parable Paint 
Vinyard Workers
by Cheryl White
Acrylic on Canvas 24" x 48"
I was inspired by the shape of the women's dresses in that  painting when working on the vinyard workers for the parable paint banner series.  I wanted the workers to be tall and thin at different heights representing a bar graph....This was to symbolize their attempts to keep track and measure the wages they each earned during the day.  I also wanted each figure to be made of one unbroken line.  The practice painting is to the left.  The actual banner is to the  right. 


There were 11 banners in this series, but this is my favorite.  I did one a week to illustrate a sermon series for our pastor one summer.  Each Sunday he taught about a different parable and I had a banner hanging up that went with it.   More info about the other banners and the project I did is on my parable paint page.  Below is a picture of how all the banners fit together to make one big picture.










No comments:

Post a Comment