Monday, February 21, 2011

Freedom isn't FREE

Marshall Harris
Served on Sipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima
 This is my dad . . . a retired WWII verteran ... US Marine who served on Sipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. I believe he belongs to THE greatest generation of Americans in our country's history.  My sister and I watched him live out his life in memory of his fallen brothers in arms.  They had paid for our freedom with the price of their lives.  I was raised with the foundational belief that freedom wasn't free.  There is a cost involved.  Someone has to pay for it, and it is something to be thankful for.

The same thing is true about our spiritual freedom.  We are taught from Ephesians 2:8,9  that grace is a free gift to us.  

Free TO us, but it did cost God something.  

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.

My response to this is thanks and awe.  It motivates me to live my life in response to that sacrifice in a way that honors God.  


One time I asked my dad, what his favorite verses in the Bible were.  He said, Matthew 5-7, the sermon on the mount . . . so I painted it for him.( Below )

Matthew 5

1 Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2and he began to teach them. He said:
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment