Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Two more paintings for the bathroom





Here are  two more paintings I demoted to guest bathroom status about 3 years ago and they are still there.  If you are new to the blog and don't know what "guest bathroom status" means, check out Feb.13,2011 and you will understand.


To the Right is "Lamb of the World". You can see Jesus with his arms stretched out. I love how they curve and go off the canvas.  There is the world, the vivid blues and greens.... and then there is this lamb that really bugs me.  Looks more like "Polar Bear of the World" to me, but anyway, it's supposed to be a


LAMB! Sorry, didn't mean to yell.  It was just so frustrating to spend so much time on something and still not have it turn out right.  I felt like quiting at this point and never painting again, or at least never painting another lamb again... but I didn't quit.


To the Left: "John the Baptist aptizing Jesus".  I actually really liked how this one turned out.  You can see light coming from Jesus and the dove was just so much fun.  It's actually worthy of a more honorable wall in our home, but since it matches the mis-fit polar bear of the world painting above,  it's in the guest bathroom also.


In my opinion this is a good example of two paintings which are unequally yoked. But I keep them together and here is why...


What I learned later, but I didn't understand then , is that creating art is more about the process, not the end result.  I hated the end result of the first painting, but had a lot of fun painting the 2nd one.  What was different?  My focus during the polar bear, I mean lamb painting was on producing something and getting it done.  It felt like work or a chore.  But on the 2nd painting I just really enjoyed the process of painting it and had fun. I thought about the event from the Bible that I was illustrating and what it meant to me while I was painting and it became an act of worshiping God.  Two paintings; same size canvas, same color palate, done by the same person, yet two totally different results.  This was a valuable lesson.



No comments:

Post a Comment